NYSCSS Awards Nomination Form
NYS4A Awards Nomination Form
The Outstanding Social Studies Classroom Teacher Award (Elementary, Middle School, High School)will be presented to an individual who has demonstrated exceptional teaching ability at the elementary or middle or high school level and is currently teaching. There will be separate awards for each level.The person nominated must be knowledgeable in social studies content as well as pedagogy and must be able to relate successfully to students at the level for which the nomination is made. The nominee must have taught for at least five years in the award category for which he or she is nominated.
The Distinguished Social Studies Educator Award will be presented to an individual who exemplifies the best in professional social studies education in New York State. The person should have considerable visibility and a significantly positive impact on social studies education in this state and possibly at the national level. The person’s contributions should be widely known and should be well-documented over a period of five years or more.
The Continuing Social Studies Service Award will be presented to a NYSCSS member in good standing who has officially filed with their retirement system and who has made and continues to make significant contributions to the success of NYSCSS.
The Susan Wasserman Young Professional Memorial Award will be presented to an individual who has demonstrated exceptional teaching potential within the first five years of teaching. The person nominated must be knowledgeable in social studies content as well as pedagogy and must be able to relate successfully to students.
NYSCSS Nomination Procedures
Nominations may be made by an individual or by an organization such as a local council or school. Letters of support from the local council (if the candidate is a member), colleagues, supervisors, parents and students (where appropriate), along with other forms of documentation such as media articles and sample teaching materials, are strongly urged.
Please note the following Nomination Rules:
AWARDS SUBMISSIONS ARE DUE BY DECEMBER 31 EACH YEAR.
E-mail submissions are preferred – please attach the Awards Nomination Form in your e-mail. Postal mail submissions are also accepted and should include the completed Nomination Form. Please send your nomination to one of our NYSCSS Award Committee Chairs:
Mary Duffin David Babikian
111 Lynbrook Circle 6002 Route 31
DeWitt, NY 13214 Cicero, NY 13039
Phone: (315) 446-9436 Phone: (315) 439-7887
An award will be given each year to a supervisor/chairperson who has demonstrated outstanding social studies supervision at the elementary and/or secondary level. The person nominated will be evaluated on the following:
1. Is a current member of NYS4A as of July 1 in the year in which they are nominated.
2. Has remained abreast of new developments in social studies.
3. Has incorporated innovative and effective supervisory techniques.
4. Displays a commitment to excellence in social studies education.
5. Fosters professional growth.
1. The Committee, consisting of past winners and chaired by the NYS4A Vice President, will request nominations through the NYS4A and NYSCSS newsletters with an appropriate deadline.
2. The Awards Committee will make a recommendation to the Executive Officers of NYS4A. In the event that no nominations are received, the committee will nominate a candidate to be designated as the winner.
3. An individual may win the award only once.
A recent photograph of the candidate and a resume will be required when the candidate is selected as an award recipient.
The award winner’s photographs will appear in the Convention Program.
1. The winner will be recognized at the Annual Convention.
2. The award will consist of a plaque.
1. Please attach a 300-350 word rationale which states why the nominee should be considered for the award. Be sure to address the award criteria.
2. Supporting documentation, such as two letters of support and a resume, is required.
3. The Nomination Form is available above.
All documentation may be sent separately but must be received by December 31. E-mail is preferred.
Send all materials to:
Katherine DeForge, e-mail the nomination form as a PDF to: email@example.com.
Copyright New York State Council for the Social Studies